Project Transition Events
Creating Vital Points of Contact
Following the first spring information meeting at Lubin House, they are encouraged to participate in a series of cost-free events both on and off campus, including:
- Parent Orientation Families are brought to campus for move-in day of SummerStart, a six-week summer program designed to help entering students earn college credits and become familiar with academic, social, and cultural life before the fast-paced fall semester begins.
- Opening Weekend The fall semester kicks off with an on-campus orientation session for first-year students and their parents to review academic expectations, transition issues, and services offered by the Parents Office.
- Family Weekend This fall event is a chance for parents to come to campus for a weekend and become more familiar with the challenges and opportunities their children will face. Above, Bob Wilson, director of Student Support Services, welcomes students and their families to Family Weekend.
- NYC Informational Meeting A meeting for students and parents at Lubin House offers the opportunity to review fall semester grades and discuss academic goals with program counselors.
- Capstone Dinner This special event is for seniors and their parents to celebrate the achievement of earning a college degree.
Leaving Parents with Unforgettable Experiences
Today, Project Transition is serving a vital role at SU. After attending Family Weekend 2009, a number of Project Transition parents spoke about their unforgettable experiences:
“I have received much helpful information regarding my daughter’s education and lifestyle change. I leave here today with a very warm feeling that my daughter is in good hands.”
“Once again, thank you so much for giving my daughter and me the chance to get to know Syracuse and my daughter’s dorm, and to make her feel that we are here for her.”
“Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to reconnect with our child. This family weekend was a very fruitful and beneficial experience. It brought our child and family together closer than ever.”
─The Jackson/Peacock Family