What to Give
A gift to Syracuse University can be many things.
It can be large or small. Immediate or deferred. As simple as writing a check or part of a long-term strategic giving plan. It can also involve nearly any type of asset, such as…
- Cash: The simplest way to give, it provides SU with immediately available funds.
- Appreciated securities: Here, the IRS allows you one of its most significant tax breaks.
- Real estate: Transfer residential, commercial, or undeveloped real estate and get an income tax deduction for the fair market value, regardless of what you originally paid for it.
- Business interests: Give SU an interest in a closely held or family business, and pay no capital gains tax on any appreciation in the shares.
- Partnership interests: Support SU by transferring interest in a real estate or oil-and-gas partnership.
- Personal property: Donate books, artwork, or equipment, and you can make a significant gift to Syracuse University without adversely affecting your cash flow.
- Retirement assets: The balance of your retirement plan may be worth more when donated to Syracuse University than to your heirs.